Hill’s Science Diet
We carry all of the Hill’s Prescription Diet foods. These foods are prescribed by a veterinarian for your pet’s specific needs.
Animals can develop heartworms by mosquitos transmitting heartworm larvae from infected animals to healthy animals. Heartworms live in the heart and lungs of dogs and cats. In 2001 there were more than 244,000 dogs in the United States that tested positive from heartworms. If left untreated, heartworm disease may be fatal to your dog.
Signs of heartworm infection in dogs include:
• Difficulty breathing
• Loss of consciousness
• Sudden death
Feline heartworm disease is potentially fatal in cats. It is difficult to diagnose and currently cannot be treated. The number of cats that have tested positive for feline heartworm disease has increased tremendously over the last few years.
GOOD NEWS: There is a heartworm preventative for your furry friends!
We carry heartworm preventatives that are recommend for your dogs and cats depending on what type of environment they live in.
Heartworm Preventative for Dogs:
Before we can start your dog on heartworm prevention, they must have a current negative heartworm test result from within the last year.
- Advantage Multi for Dogs – A topical product applied to your dog every 30 days to prevent heartworms. Advantage multi for dogs also prevents roundworms, hookworms, whipworms, and fleas.
- Sentinel Spectrum Flavor Tabs – A flavored chewable tablet given to your dog once a month to prevent heartworms. Sentinel also prevents against roundworms, hookworms, and whip worms, which are intestinal worms. This product controls flea populations by breaking the flea life cycle and helps prevent a new generation of fleas from hatching.
- Heartgard- A flavored chewable tablet given to your dog once a month to prevent heartworms. Heartgard also prevents against roundworms and hookworms.
- Proheart 6 Injection- Proheart 6 is an injection that will last for six months to prevent heartworms, Proheart 6 also prevents hookworms.
- Proheart 12 Injection-Proheart 12 is an injection that will last for 12 months to prevent heartworms. Proheart 12 also prevents hookworms.
Heartworm Preventative for Cats:
- Advantage Multi for Cats – A topical product applied to your cat once a month to prevent heartworms. Advantage Multi for Cats also prevents roundworms, hookworms, fleas, and controls ear mites.
- Revolution Plus- A topical product applied to your cat once a month to prevent heartworms. Revolution Plus also prevents roundworms, hookworms, ear mites, fleas, and ticks.
Flea and Tick Prevention
No matter where you live fleas can be a problem. We struggle with fleas in Mississippi because it does not get cold enough here to kill them.Ticks can transmit several diseases such as Lymes disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, ehrlichiosis, babesiosis and tularemia. We carry several products that kill and repel fleas and ticks.
Flea/Tick Preventative for Dogs:
- Bravecto- Bravecto is a flavored chewable that will prevent fleas and ticks for three months (can only be given to adult dogs)
- Nexgard- Nexgard is a flavored chewable that will prevent fleas and ticks for one month.
- Seresto Collar- Seresto is a flea and tick collar that will protect against fleas and ticks for 8 months.
Flea/Tick Prevention for Cats:
- Advantage Multi - A once a month topical application applied between the shoulder blades of your cat. This product is heartworm prevention, flea prevention, ear mite prevention, and monthly dewormer.
- Cherestin- Cherestin is a once a month topical applied between the shoulder blades of your cat. It prevents fleas.
- Bravecto- Bravecto is a topical applied between the shoulder blades that will last for three months. It prevents fleas and ticks.
- Seresto collar- Seresto is a flea and tick collar that will protect against fleas and ticks for 8 months.